• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carson
    VCMC Lifeblood
    • Dec 2005

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve Qusetion

Originally posted by Chickenman
    What I had done was to remove the power brake booster and convert the brakes to full manual. This resulted in a huge increase in pedal effort...which was exactly what you wanted to easily modulate the brakes. The factory Power Brake booster supplied far too much assist, and made it very hard to modulate the brakes. way too " touchy ".
    Funny joe mentioned the same thing to me yesterday about engineering the best brake system by calculating all the components to result in optimal PSI without brake booster for maximum brake feel. Just checked on the scca rule book, for SM "Brakes, including calipers, caliper mounts, disks, drums, lines, backing plates, pedals, boosters, master cylinders, handles, ABS systems, proportioning valves, etc. are unrestricted".

Maybe removing the booster and going with a smaller MC is the way to go? how do you go about calculating something like that?
    2001 Toyota Sienna (don't ask...)

Comment

• lowside67
      • Mar 2007

I can tell you I've been chasing crummy pedal feel in my BMW for years... now that I have dual masters and a dead simple system with no proportioning valves, ABS pump, booster, etc. it is rock hard and feels AWESOME.

Mark
      Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
      BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
      STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
      DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)

Comment

• Jaker
        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Carson
        Maybe removing the booster and going with a smaller MC is the way to go? how do you go about calculating something like that?
        Be careful with this Cars. The Wagon is set up with no booster, Wilwood 6 pistons front calipers, Polymatrix A pads (very aggressive cold pads), ITR rear calipers with OEM pads, and a Tilton brake proportioning valve. The MC is 13/16" (0.812"). I find the pedal WAY too hard for autocross. Sure it's drivable, but it's really difficult to brake well/effectively for autocross.

The next try is going to be with a 17mm (0.67") Porsche 914 MC. If that doesn't quite get me there, the attachment point of the MC pushrod to the pedal arm will be moved to increase the fulcrum effect (more leverage). I'd love to go with some aftermarket MC (Wilwood, Tilton, etc...), but none of them come in a dual circuit configuration (required for autocross) in appropriate dimensions (5/8" diameter and not 3 feet long). I don't have room in the engine bay for a dual master setup. I had one with an adjustable balance bar, and had to sell it because I couldn't get it to fit.

Comment

• Sead
          (former) Top Gun
          • Jun 2001

I ended up removing my booster as well and love the brake feel for racing. People that have never driven manual brakes get freaked out, but I like that I can modulate the brakes by my leg muscles
          20mm MC, Wilwood 4piston calipers/Polymatrix A pads on front.

Comment

• lowside67
            • Mar 2007

Tilton's 75 series shorty masters wont fit still??
            Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
            BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
            STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
            DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)

Comment

• Jaker
              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by lowside67
              Tilton's 75 series shorty masters wont fit still??
              They're single circuit. Autocross rules demand dual circuit unless the car was OEM single circuit. I did actually drive the car at 1st with a single 75 series 5/8". At the time the front brake pads were a much harder compound. It was better than it is right now but still not good enough. I then re-read the rules, and changed out to the OEM 15/16s. That was impossible, so I moved to the 13/16s. That was still pretty hard, but the pad change to the "A"s helped tons. I'm still trying for better.

The dual setup I tried to use had a pair of 5/8s Tilton 75s, but with the mounting bracket and the balance bar arrangement, it wouldn't clear the drive snout on the supercharger.

Comment

• Derek128
                President 2012-13
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Chickenman
                Are you saying that the M/C has been changed to something other than what it came equipped with? If so that could be the issue.

Carson: As others have said, you may want to investigate why the braking is so sensitive. Sounds like the previous owner may have messed things up. You may want to check the M/Cyl part numbers and specs very carefully.
                the brake system he has now is kinda of a mix and match

The RSX type -S's MC is 15/16 (for ABS car) but on a non ABS car
                not sure about booster(booster seems like the same one that I have on my car stock)
                we are both running the same brake calipers ITR(front and rear)
                2012-13 President, 2011 Rice President, 2010 Director of P????graphy

1994 Accord EXR - 2006 - 2008 (RIP), 2000 Civic SIR - 2008 - 2011 (Sold),
                1992 Integra LS - 2011 - 2012 (Sold), 1994 Miata R - 2012 - 2017(Sold)
                1980 Crossle 40F 2016 - present

Comment

• Chickenman
                  • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Derek128
                  the brake system he has now is kinda of a mix and match

The RSX type -S's MC is 15/16 (for ABS car) but on a non ABS car
                  not sure about booster(booster seems like the same one that I have on my car stock)
                  we are both running the same brake calipers ITR(front and rear)
                  Is there a part number on that M/Cyl to 100% identify it? At thais point I think I would be pulling the M/Cyla and measuring it's bore diameter with some Digital calipers.

What are the maximum M/Cyl that you can get from Honda?

BTW..what year is Carson's car? I have some Raybestos Hydraulic Parts Manuals that I can check size and applications if I know a starting year.

Comment

• Derek128
                    President 2012-13
                    • Jun 2008

i think the biggest one is 1" from ITR
                    his Civic is a 1997 Civic CX
                    2012-13 President, 2011 Rice President, 2010 Director of P????graphy

1994 Accord EXR - 2006 - 2008 (RIP), 2000 Civic SIR - 2008 - 2011 (Sold),
                    1992 Integra LS - 2011 - 2012 (Sold), 1994 Miata R - 2012 - 2017(Sold)
                    1980 Crossle 40F 2016 - present

Comment

• Carson
                      VCMC Lifeblood
                      • Dec 2005

Some interesting info on this page, confirmed a lot of the things said on this thread.
                      I am upgradeing my EK to a 5 lug conversion along with a full EK9 suspension this weekend. Was wondering what the best brake master cylinder would be to get. I have to get a new brake master cylinder because my old one is dead. So I thought, hey, I might as well upgrade it in the process. I have...

Thanks for those who contributed and gave advices, at this point I am going to go with the biggest MC from honda I can find (1" ITR/GSR). Some mentioned that AP2 S2k one is even a little bigger, but can't confirm. If that doesn't work, next step I would think is to try a ITR booster and proportioning valve too, by then the whole system will be ITR brakes and should work well together.

Some info on this page was also interesting:

The OEM 98-01 Integra Type-R Brake Master Cylinder is the perfect upgrade when you need to improve the performance and feel of your braking system. We use this specific brake master clyinder on the 96-00 Civic. All 96-00 Civic's have the same brake "hard line" configuration and will match up to the Integra Type-R brake master cylinder. The Integra Type-R brake master cylinder is larger and holds more volume of fluid in the reservoir and the cylinder body is also larger in overall diameter. What this equates to is better brake modulation and less pedal travel. This is an ideal brake upgrade for your 96-00 Civic, but a total necessity when upgrading your 96-00 Civic from a 4-lug brake/suspension to a 5-lug brake/suspension.
                      EDIT:
                      According to this thread I will need the ITR Booster too.

I have an itr mc and was going to swap it in when I foudn that it doesn't bolt up. stock ek cx is a female while itr mc is a male.

Comment

• Carson
                        VCMC Lifeblood
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jaker
                        They're single circuit. Autocross rules demand dual circuit unless the car was OEM single circuit. I did actually drive the car at 1st with a single 75 series 5/8". At the time the front brake pads were a much harder compound. It was better than it is right now but still not good enough. I then re-read the rules, and changed out to the OEM 15/16s. That was impossible, so I moved to the 13/16s. That was still pretty hard, but the pad change to the "A"s helped tons. I'm still trying for better.

The dual setup I tried to use had a pair of 5/8s Tilton 75s, but with the mounting bracket and the balance bar arrangement, it wouldn't clear the drive snout on the supercharger.
                        Which part of the rule are you referring to? The SM rules seems to suggest that Brakes are unrestricted, am I missing something?
                        Brakes, including calipers, caliper mounts, disks, drums, lines, backing plates, pedals, boosters, master cylinders, handles, ABS systems, proportioning valves, etc. are unrestricted.

Comment

Working...