Thread: SkinnyG's E/Mod Aventure

SkinnyG's E/Mod Adventure

Crap. I mispelled Adventure. Figures.

You know, you guys really don't have a "show off your projects" section. I've always put my projects in "Vehicle Classification."

Do you guys not ~build~?

1987 Firefly, with the entire drivetrain from a 1988 Firebird.

I've had V8 Pintos and a V8 Vega back in the day. This is like the ultimate engine swap for me. I've been planning it since 1996, and finally started when a Firefly fell into my lap three years ago. Trying to get it mobile by winter.

Last edited by SkinnyG; July 14, 2014 at 21:01. Reason: i can't spel
    This doesn't put food on your table, it's supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.
    -=- Lethal Locost -=- Lethal Locost 2 -=- V8 Firefly -=- Crusty Chevy -=-

Re: SkinnyG's E/Mod Adventure

Good to hear from you Greg! And glad to see the project coming along. There's a guy down here that just put a Hyabusa in the back of a 1990 Firefly, brought it out to autox and it was pretty fun! Needs some suspension tuning but had lots of power. Can't imagine what yours will be like with all that torque.

I imagine the handling of this one would be hard to describe as well, what with all the screaming and the eyes shut tight.

I've really faded away from autocross. I've run maybe five events in the last five years.

I recognize this car will be largely uncompetitive in every venue, and I don't care. I'm building it "just for the jaw-dropping horror of it all."
    This doesn't put food on your table, it's supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.

I looked through all the v8 firefly pics and damn thats a nice fitting cage you made.
    "The way money goes so fast these days, they should paint racing stripes on it."

Thank you!

It's my first cage. I didn't have a bender at the time, so I drew up the bends I wanted, and had Liam Burr bend the tubes. I did the fitting.

I would do things a bit different next time, but that's the nature of fabrication, isn't it?

I got a LOT better at tube fitting during the frame construction of Lethal Locost II.

Thanks again!

One of the cars that I would like to own is the Renault Clio V6 Sport with the rear engined V6. Crazy car. Top Gear did a test on it some years ago. Crazy fun car!!

This project reminds me of that. Some nice flares on the back, big wheels, slammed and the Firefly would look be lookin' pretty Kool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clio_V6_Renault_Sport

Update - the car got completed (enough) this past summer, and drove for just over a month before being parked for winter.

It's stooopid. With three O's.

Not likely a threat to all you E/Mod folks out there, but I'm sure it would entertaining/scary to watch. I'm averaging maybe one autocross every two years.

Very cool~! Perhaps you can turn those numbers around, and make it 2 autox-es per year instead?
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!