Thread: 24 Hours of Daytona on iRacing

24 Hours of Daytona on iRacing

Just thought I'd pop in here and see if anyone from the club is planning on racing the 24 Hours of Daytona on iRacing this weekend:

I just started endurance racing with a team based here in the UK and having a terrific experience. Sharing a car adds so many new dimensions to the iRacing experience. The setup has to suit all the drivers, and when you're out on your stint you really don't want to be the one who crashes the car. Qualifying is another level of pressure when there are three other drivers watching to see if you can match your best practice time when it really matters. Fortunately, autocross taught me a lot about driving under pressure! If you enjoy iRacing I really recommend having a go.

For this weekend, I'll be one of four drivers in the WR Racing Ruf GT3 (in an English / Canadian livery), and we have another four drivers who will be an in HPD for the 24 Hours of Daytona.

We put in huge amounts of time - 200 Daytona laps in the last 2 weeks - testing and refining our car setup and looking forward to the event.

Race broadcast will be here but it's unlikely we'll be in the top (broadcasted) split:
    Silver '91 BMW 318is - 06/07 G-stock (retired and sold)
    "On a break" from autocross

Re: 24 Hours of Daytona on iRacing

Thanks for sharing, that's pretty exciting! Doing a full 24 hours would be awesome. How long stints are you doing? I once did a 4 hour race at the Nordschliefe in Grand Prix Legends, without a break. It was too much!

What we've done is to split the four drivers into two pairs. Each pair will do two 6-hour shifts in the car. While one person drives, the other acts as crew chief - watching what is happening with the competition and also ready to jump in if the driver has a computer problem or disconnection.

Within the shift, each driver will go for 3 stints, each of which is just a bit less than an hour. Since the GT3 cars in iRacing must fuel and tyre change sequentially there is no time penalty to changing drivers at every stint, but I think we will start with a double stint for each driver and then two singles.

Since we are all in the same time zone, unfortunately I'll be on shift 1:00pm-7:00pm and then again at 01:00am to 07:00am <ugh> Would be so much better if iRacing 'weather' could change from day to night within a race - maybe someday.

I agree that driving for more than 2 hours straight will be a challenge on concentration - after doing this in the sim I have a greater appreciation for how real life endurance drivers do it with all the G forces and vibration added in.

Very cool. I agree it must be an incredible feat of concentration and fitness in the real world. And still quite a challenge in the sim racing world too. I've always done well in longer races maybe 45 min+ rather than 10 to 20 minute sprints. I find it suits my style of driving better, as I'm happier a little bit off my max pace. And I find I can be very consistent when dialling it back just a little. But I'm sure my concentration would be seriously challenged by a 2 hour stint!

Have fun!

Why oh why did iRacing decide to do this during Superbowl weekend?!!! I would have loved to take part in this.

I'm no expert at iRacing compared to some of the other VCMC members, but still I would have loved to be part of something this large.

Good Luck to you Arthurc! I wish you the best and hope your race goes well.

Ben

Thank you all. At the halfway mark now, and we've logged 389 laps. A few bumps and bruises along the way but for the most part our stints have been problem free. We started from pits and have worked our way up from 26th to now 11th. Hopefully the momentum keeps coming our way for the next 12 hours.

I've now completed six hour-long stints and finished my driving for the team. The night shift was really successful with no driving errors from either of us. We were able to engage Hammer TimeŽ during the pit stops and moved ourselves up 3 positions to a reasonably comfortable 8th. All that's left is for the last shift to bring the car home and take advantage of any incidents ahead of us. Only had one hour of sleep in the past 24 but couldn't feel more wired or awake! One of the final drivers is having possible PC problems though - this is the equivalent of getting a 'mechanical' in sim racing. Time for a few hours of sleep and then rejoin the team for the finish.

Thanks for the update. Good luck for the rest of the race and I hope you can pull off a top 10 finish! How many starters were there by the way?

Thanks Michael. Daytona road I believe has 43 pit stalls and there were 10 splits (we are in the third) so potentially up to 430 teams started this event. Our split had 12 HPDs and 30 GT3 cars. Broadcast of first split is still going on:

Well, sadly things fell apart in the final 6 hours of our event for both GT3 and HPD teams.

A combination of bad netcode and just being in another car's forward blind spot resulted in a collision that cascaded to a number of issues including eventually a 30 minute engine change:

This dropped us way down the order to 20th so a disappointment there. Still, it was a really fun event. Anything less than 12 hours now will feel like a sprint!

Here was a posting from the iRacing staff:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Gardner
    Here are the high level stats!

1,860 members joined the race, spread across 409 teams and 10 splits.
    Around 230,000 laps were turned during the races for this one event.
    4,385 driver-swaps were performed.

Ian Plasch deserves some kind of award (or straightjacket- ha ha) for finishing the whole 24 hours solo, turning 786 laps.
    (There were others that ran the event solo, but Ian turned the most laps).

Will work on the credits for the winners of each split probably tomorrow. Congrats to the winning teams and all the 1,860 participants. I think a lot of people had good time with this race! The team concept adds a whole new dynamic on several levels.

Sorry to hear about the collision! But still sounds like a great way to spend far too much time sim racing, regardless, haha The stats are pretty impressive!