Thread: A good place to buy helmet locally?

1. Question A good place to buy helmet locally?

I am new to the Autocross scene and my DOT approved motorcycle helmet is not good enough to meet the requirement. So I need to get a new helmet.

I'd like to get one locally as I want to try them on and see how they fit. And preferably as cheap as possible... Please recommend shops I should check out.

Thanks!

Re: A good place to buy helmet locally?

Quote Originally Posted by iambeetle View Post
    I am new to the Autocross scene and my DOT approved motorcycle helmet is not good enough to meet the requirement. So I need to get a new helmet.

I'd like to get one locally as I want to try them on and see how they fit. And preferably as cheap as possible... Please recommend shops I should check out.

Thanks!

drivers edge on boundary

lets u try helmets, knowledgeable about fitment, and prices are close to online us retailer pricing
    very fair, support local guys

While I'd also recommend Driver's Edge for helmets (among other things), in this case since it seems like the OP is also a motorcycle rider, an acceptable option is whichever motorcycle dealership you normally visit.

Bear in mind that for autox, both SA and M rate helmets are acceptable for use as long as they are SNELL certified (within the acceptable years). If I am not mistaken, I *think* M-rated SNELL helmets are also acceptable for our VCMC track day as well (though other organizations may only accept SA-rated SNELL helmets for lapping days).
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

4. Re: A good place to buy helmet locally?

I looked at Driver's Edge's website and their full face helmets are all over 350 bucks... That's quite a bit.

I'd want to get something a bit cheaper like this 250 bucks racequip one if possible. But too bad I can't get it online without knowing it'd fit nicely.

I have no idea how accurate / up-to-date the Driver's Edge website's pricing is. I would say the best thing to do is still to drop by and check out their gear first, and see whether there is anything that suit your needs there.
    Rick Leung

Some people might linch me for this, but Princess Auto has Snel Approved helmets for roughly $99.00. I got mind for $79.99 on sale. Only reason I suggest this, is to buy this helmet first to make sure you like the sport etc. It's an awesome sport, but I see people buy a $400+ helmet and selling one month later. Its a great "starter" helmet! Then I highly recommend Driver's Edge when you are ready.

7. Re: A good place to buy helmet locally?

Quote Originally Posted by Okanagan_Mazda3 View Post
    Some people might linch me for this, but Princess Auto has Snel Approved helmets for roughly $99.00. I got mind for $79.99 on sale. Only reason I suggest this, is to buy this helmet first to make sure you like the sport etc. It's an awesome sport, but I see people buy a $400+ helmet and selling one month later. Its a great "starter" helmet! Then I highly recommend Driver's Edge when you are ready.
    I went on their website and I could only see off roading helmets, I guess their store would have the Snell Approved one you talked about? Can you tell me which one you went?

Thanks!

+1 to local motorcycle shop for M Snell.

100% most important thing is fit. Doesn't fit, doesn't work. Bought my first autocross helmet at Carter Motorsport. 2nd for lapping/DE/endurance racing at Drivers Edge. On the verge of 3rd -> will go to Drivers Edge again.
    -- Sean
    2011 WRX STI
    2005 GT3
    1984 Corolla AE82 4AGE Silvertop

9. An affordable SA2005 helmet

Hello fellow members!

I have attended the autocross school yesterday, it was a blast!
    I borrowed a helmet since I had no idea about my size,. Now that I know my size, I'm looking for an affordable helmet to buy.
    So far I've found only one considerable option (read: cheapest), which is a Bell SA2010 helmet http://driversedgeautosport.com/helmet_Bell_Sport.html.

I'm not familiar with helmet prices but would be more than happy to pay less that $320!
    So my question is, are there any other brands or stores to consider?

Thanks

Re: An affordable SA2005 helmet

Glad to see you enjoying the sport, Meshuggah!

Please have a quick skim through for some of the options that we have recently discussed.
    Rick Leung

11. Re: An affordable SA2005 helmet

Mopac in Langley or Lordco may have cheaper helmets