X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nissannx
    • Jul 2016

Knox Mountain questions

Hi Folks,
    I understand that some VCMC members have participated in the Knox Mountain Hill Climb. Hill Climbs have been a bucket list item of mine and, now that I'm in BC, it's only logical to consider participating. I need some help classifying my car (basics: Nissan NX1600 with GTi-R SR20DET swap). The system here is very different from CASC-OR in Ontario. If you can assist me, please send me a private message so I can go over the specifics. CACC has provided me with the appropriate licence based upon my experience east of here. Yes, I hope to do some time attack too.
    Thanks,
    Frank
  • mavm86
    VCMC Lifeblood
    • Apr 2006

Re: Knox Mountain questions

Based on the engine swap I would guess SPX-3 would be the appropriate class, but it would also depend on other modifications. The complete SoloSprint rulebook can be found here:http://www.caccautosport.org/rules/

Note also that to run Knox you will need at minimum a 4 point roll bar if you don't already have one.
    Richard Arienzale

2004 Honda S2000 - #156 BS
    1995 Dodge Neon ChumpCar #28
    2004 Mazda 3 DD

Comment

• nissannx
      • Jul 2016

PM sent.
      Thank you.

Getting everything sorted out! Thank for the help, mavm86!
      Last edited by nissannx; March 14, 2017, 08:02.

Comment

• lowside67
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mavm86
        Based on the engine swap I would guess SPX-3 would be the appropriate class, but it would also depend on other modifications. The complete SoloSprint rulebook can be found here:http://www.caccautosport.org/rules/

Note also that to run Knox you will need at minimum a 4 point roll bar if you don't already have one.
        In case it was not clear, the specific rulebook you need to conform to is the "Time Attack" rulebook.

The suggestion to read the safety rules section above is a good one - for the first time to have your car teched here, the inspection will be thorough with items such as incorrectly mounted harnesses common causes to have the car failed. Also, the list of safety gear required here may be different from back East - for example, here a HANS or similar device is mandatory.

Best of luck - Knox is a great event and worth the prep.

Cheers,
        Mark
        Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
        BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
        STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
        DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)

Comment

• nissannx
          • Jul 2016

Thanks, Mark. There is no question that the rule books between east and west time attack are different. I've been going through the book and also chatting with John who does the tech inspections. I've got all of the necessary safety equipment. And hopefully there won't be any issues with safety gear - but it is the small things. I'm looking forward to competition - the past two years have been very low activity for me. And I've always wanted to do a hill climb!
          Frank

Comment

• nissannx
            • Jul 2016

A huge thank you to everyone who responded to my questions with answers and/or words of encouragement. I really appreciated it. My novice entry at the Mountain has come and gone. There simply isn't a video that does justice to this course. I finished with a 2:08 and very greasy hands - as my car kept me busy between runs. That time was good for second place in SPX 3. Thanks VCMC!

Comment

• RichardBasford
              • Jun 2012

Well done! Congratulations!

Rich

Comment

• nissannx
                • Jul 2016

Here are a couple of perspectives put together - with photo help from Brent Martin.

The Cars of Knox Mountain Hill Climb by Frank Ewald Photography by Brent Martin, Martin's Action Photography   There was something for everyone at Leavitt Machinery's Knox Mountain Hill Climb…

Frank

Comment

• solorex
                  • Dec 2001

Great articles Frank!

Comment

• krobro
                    • Apr 2014

Great article Frank! Thanks for posting. I love your photos looking back and down the mountain to put it all in perspective. Congrats

~John

Comment

• nissannx
                      • Jul 2016

Glad you enjoyed them. I enjoy writing almost as much as I enjoy driving!

Comment

Working...