Thread: VCMC iOS App

Post VCMC iOS App

VCMC now has an app on the iTunes Store free for download!

Search the App Store for "VCMC" and look for our logo

FWIW: I'm not a developer by trade, this was just a pet project I wanted to try out in my spare time

[update: v1.2.9 is the latest version and the only one confirmed working for live event results]

The current version does the following:
    - Quick and easy way to load the on-site results, no more punching in the IP address into your browser (you still need to connect to the VCMC on-site wifi)
    - quick link to the event schedule so you don't miss any racing!
    - link to the forum to keep up to date on the latest happenings
    - PAX calculator to figure out your PAX time and for those who still don't heed the adage "don't worry about your competitors, let them worry about you", there is an estimator tool that tells you what your approximate raw time in your competitor's class is...cuz I can never tell what I need to run relative to those pesky SSM/CSP miatas

NOTE: you still need to connect your phone to the "VCMC Wifi" network for the live results to display

Further enhancements to come (probably not for awhile as my first kid is due to arrive any day now but I definitely have plans)

Currently iOS only, working on an Android version with the same caveat as above.

Jun 12, 2017 Update
    The iPhone can tell the app to use cellular data instead of the onsite wifi which causes the results to not load.

I'll try to see if I can have the app handle this more elegantly.

Until then, I would make the following suggestions while on site, in order of preference and least impact to you.

- Turn off cellular data access by the app while on site: Settings > Cellular > look for VCMC and flip the switch to off
    -- This turns off cellular access by the app forcing it to use Wifi only, however this will restrict your forum access if you are not on wifi

- Turn off "Wifi Assist": Settings > Cellular > scroll to the bottom and find "Wifi Assist", flip the switch to off
    -- This function on the iPhone allows the phone to use cellular data in situations where the wifi signal is weak, which i've encountered while on site depending where i am in relation to the timing trailer.
    **If you need to control cellular data usage, having this on (default) can contribute to high cellular data usage without your knowledge, your phone will appear to be on wifi (1 or 2 bars) but it will actually be using cellular data
    Cheers!
    Zach
    Last edited by Lego Maniac; June 12, 2017 at 13:49. Reason: wifi issue updated
    Zach Wong

VCMC Member since: too old to remember when...

CM - Ford Swift DB-1 (NA94)
    STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    DS - 01 Chrysler Sebring Coupe
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

Re: VCMC iOS App

+1 upvote! Great work Zach =)
    -------------------------------
    Mike 'Chan' Marich

Can hardly wait to try it out !
    Thanks Zach

Sounds great, Zach! Looking forward to the Android version.
    Richard Arienzale

2004 Honda S2000 - #156 BS
    1995 Dodge Neon ChumpCar #28
    2004 Mazda 3 DD

Zach,
    your app requires IOS 10.2 or later.
    Some (many ?) of us don't have that version (mine is 10.1), and am reluctant to upgrade
    anything from Apple.

Sorry.
    Gary and Pat Watson
    2016 Long Beach Red Metallic Corvette Z06 Coupe

Jack mentioned on Facebook it didn't work for him while the standard method did work.

Sadly I can't reproduce event conditions to test so did the best I could in development.

Did it work for anyone?

7. Re: VCMC iOS App

Zach,

The app also did not work for me whereas the standard method did.

In case you don't have auto-update on on your iPhone (i'm sure everyone does except for me), the latest version was released yesterday.

Hoping this results the live results loading issue, give it a go this weekend!

Zach

PS Android version is coming along, may be a little bit more basic than the iOS one for now
    Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

looking for feedback from anyone who tried the app out on the weekend, sadly i cant make it out to test myself

thanks!
    Zach
    Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

10. Re: VCMC iOS App

I downloaded the app Saturday and tried it yesterday and had no luck with the live timing.

The PAX calculator works well but instead of typing in 48.2s and selecting CSP, and then having it spit out "You can be 1.6 seconds slower in STX", it would be a lot more helpful to have it say "You have to run a 49.8s in STX". I can do the math, but if we want 3 decimal places, it's a lot simpler to just have it calculated.

Thanks for the effort,
    Mark

well that's disappointing, looks like I'm going to have to debug on site hopefully next event.

That was my original vision for the Pax calculator actually, I can't recall what made me change, I think it was having to enter your competitor's raw time for a proper "target raw", lemme think about this again

Thanks Mark,
    Zach
    Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

OK, I've finally been able to figure out how to replicate the event timing results conditions and fixed the app, the update is pending Apple review and should released this week. Thanks for your patience. Looking forward to working on a more advanced results display system.

Calculator has been revised to calculate your theoretical RAW time in an alternate class.

Cheers!
    Zach

(Android version also tested and pending addition of the calculator)
    Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

I received two reports of the App not working again this past weekend and I suspect that in at least one case it was due to being on an older version, the version that works is 1.2.9 (check the App Store or see the bottom of the splash screen).

The other reminder is that you do still need to connect to the VCMC wifi network for the app to work

Now if all those things were correct AND you still couldn't see the live results, lemme know here! and i'll... umm... think about it some :P

Cheers!
    Zach
    Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

I got the app working for Gary at the event (as mentioned in another thread) and it also worked on my phone (i'm using the publicly available version as well), but also got more reports that it didn't work for others with the new install.

I didn't get a chance to look at those other issues, I'll make a point to let it be known i'm on site next time.

I believe the app is being directed by the phone to use cellular data as opposed to the onsite wifi. The live results can't be reached using cellular data because the results are only available on the local wifi network.

I'm going to look into having the app work a little more elegantly in that scenario.

In the meantime, I would make the following suggestions while on site, in order of preference and least impact to you:

- Turn off cellular data access by the app while on site: Settings > Cellular > look for VCMC and flip the switch to off
    -- This turns off cellular access by the app forcing it to use Wifi only, however this will restrict your forum access if you are not on wifi

- Turn off "Wifi Assist": Settings > Cellular > scroll to the bottom and find "Wifi Assist", flip the switch to off
    -- This function on the iPhone allows the phone to use cellular data in situations where your wifi is weak, which i've encountered while on site depending where i am in relation to the timing trailer. **If you need to control cellular data usage, having this on (default) can contribute to it without your knowledge, your phone will appear to be on wifi (1 or 2 bars) but it will actually be using cellular data

Between these two, you should be good to go.
    Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Lego Maniac View Post
    I got the app working for Gary at the event (as mentioned in another thread) and it also worked on my phone (i'm using the publicly available version as well), but also got more reports that it didn't work for others with the new install.

I didn't get a chance to look at those other issues, I'll make a point to let it be known i'm on site next time.

I believe the app is being directed by the phone to use cellular data as opposed to the onsite wifi. The live results can't be reached using cellular data because the results are only available on the local wifi network.

I'm going to look into having the app work a little more elegantly in that scenario.

In the meantime, I would make the following suggestions while on site, in order of preference and least impact to you:

-- This function on the iPhone allows the phone to use cellular data in situations where your wifi is weak, which i've encountered while on site depending where i am in relation to the timing trailer. **If you need to control cellular data usage, having this on (default) can contribute to it without your knowledge, your phone will appear to be on wifi (1 or 2 bars) but it will actually be using cellular data

Between these two, you should be good to go.
    any plans on having the data on the cloud? I noticed this pass weekend we were out of range when we were in grid, so unable to see live results.

maybe we should start a christmas wish list for the app so it could be added for next year.

JACK
    Last edited by jack112286; June 27, 2017 at 12:34. Reason: added my name

I agree with jack112286... the range for the VCMC WiFi is very short.
    Therefore using either Zacks app, or just a browser is limited to being less than
    100 feet from the WiFi antenna.

Perhaps there is something that could be done to improve the range of the WiFi ?????
    Gary and Pat Watson
    2016 Long Beach Red Metallic Corvette Z06 Coupe