Thread: Interested in VCMC - with a very modified 1980 Corolla.

Interested in VCMC - with a very modified 1980 Corolla.

Hey all, looking to attend a VCMC event or few this year, but I'm completely clueless as to what class I would be in. I have a 1980 Toyota Corolla liftback - I think it would end up in some sort of race/unlimited class due to its mods. I built it for drifting, but have run a few casual autocross events, and just want to get more performance driving in.

-1uz V8 motor swap with adapted w56 transmission. engine is stock aside from cone filter and 2.5" exhaust.
    -81 supra rear end swap with welded diff, disc brakes, adjustable 4 link and panhard bar with poly bushings, lowering springs/shocks in the rear
    - ae86 front coilovers and brakes, extended LCAs, modified steering knuckles, converted to steering rack from an mr2
    -5.0 mustang aluminum rad
    -ae86 fuel tank with aem pump
    -brake bias valve
    -bride bucket seat, upgraded steering wheel
    -14x8 wheels all around, usually running cheap all seasons.

and a pic for reference, not that it matters.

Thanks, and hopefully see you soon!

Re: Interested in VCMC - with a very modified 1980 Corolla.

Since nobody else has taken a stab at it.....

You might be legal in Street Modified (SM) depending on how some of the modifications have been done and if you still have the interior (carpets etc). If not then X Prepared (XP).

Rules are here if it helps at all https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules You can skip straight to Street Modified and higher because of the motor swap.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much - just register in SM or XP and come have some fun. SM allows R Compound tires and XP allows slicks - you'll be handicapped by your tires anyway so your classing won't be that important for your first couple events.

3. Re: Interested in VCMC - with a very modified 1980 Corolla.

I was thinking about this the other day and I wanted to say SM when I saw the motor swap, but SM would require you to use the original suspension pick up points and I don't know if your suspension mods would do that.
    Russ
    1994 MR2
    2008 CSX

Re: Interested in VCMC - with a very modified 1980 Corolla.

It sounds like SM would be my class. The minimum weight requirements scared me for a second when reading through, but my solid axle and narrow tires bring that back down (The car weighs around 2400lbs, looks like my minimum would be 2300.)

All suspension pickup points on the chassis are in the original locations. And yes, to be honest, the car wouldn't be competitive at all with how it is setup, and especially with the tires I run. I just want to come out and have some fun really.

Thanks for the help!

5. Re: Interested in VCMC - with a very modified 1980 Corolla.

Agreed then, SM is where I would assume that you'd end up. It will definitely be fun, but it will be tough to get around the course with a welded diff. Drifting is usually frowned upon.

That should be a pretty fun car, I hope I get a chance to see it out one of these days.
    Russ
    1994 MR2
    2008 CSX