Thread: Any experience/recommendations for a dashcam?

Any experience/recommendations for a dashcam?

Not for racing events. I'm looking for a dashcam prior to a very long roadtrip. Small car/windshield (S2000).

I have read a large number of reviews and comparison tests, but I'm most interested in anyone's personal experience and recommendations for a model they have had experience with.

I searched for dashcam on the forum and it came up blank, so ...

Re: Any experience/recommendations for a dashcam?

I'm currently using a BlackVue 6xx (I forget the exact model, gps, 1CH, wifi). I bought it off a friend for a bit of a deal but I know it's one of the go to ones although pricey. I don't use it in parking mode. When I first got it, I reviewed video just for kicks, can't complain, it's sharp and does it's job. I'm pretty sure I had it on for an autocross event once, I'll link the video if I can find it.

FWIW: Before I got that, I played with using my GoPro 4(? the first one they introduced looping mode) as a budget alternative. Not a great idea because it would lock up due to the heat exposure in the front window.

Not a lot of info here, I'm sure there are a few other members who have dashcams who can share

Zach
    Zach Wong

VCMC Member since: too old to remember when...

CM - Ford Swift DB-1 (NA94)
    STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    DS - 01 Chrysler Sebring Coupe
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

I'll add some more 'useful' info.

I liked the BlackVue form factor as it hides behind the rear view mirror nicely so:
    1) it doesn't obstruct my view
    2) its relatively discrete

Also, it's quite easy to remove, one clip and unplug of the power and it's out

I'd hit up BlackboxMyCar in Richmond. They have a very good selection of products across the pricing spectrum and features, and both their sales and after sales services are top notch. Ask for Justin or Alex if you decide to buy in person. I'm sure they can assist you with some good recommendations depending on your needs -- eg. price, # of channels, parking protection, etc.

I've purchased a number of entry level model dashcams -- a Xiaoyi YI and several Viofo A119 -- from BBMC because simple and cheap are what I believe in. I purchased the Xiaoyi YI because I use it as an upgrade / replacement of my ancient GoPro, and its physical appearance and mounting style resembled my favoured setup with the GoPro. Here is a clip of what the setup looked like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_D6KgHkLBI

I purchased the Viofo A119 for a number of reasons:

1) video quality
    2) price
    3) capacitor-based (instead of battery-based)

The capacitor bit could potentially be important because the rechargeable battery doesn't handle heat too well, and that could permaturely kill the dashcam or affect its proper function. For example, the battery in a friend's dashcam is probably dead, and the lack of a functional battery means the final 3-min video before the engine shuts down always gets corrupted because there is no power let the SD card write to finish. If that's the video evidence before your car got crashed into and lose (electric) power, you have no video proof of what happened.

To me, size is not too important a factor. Even a 2" x 3" dashcam (such as the A119) can hide well behind the rearview mirror from the driver's point of view. From the outside, I don't particularly care whether the others can see that I have a dashcam.

If you don't mind giving up your 12V socket inside your car, a quick DIY job can put the dashcam to work very quickly. If you're looking for a way to tap into the fuse box, BBMC often has brand-specific solutions to help you with that.
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

5. Re: Any experience/recommendations for a dashcam?

I purchased a dual channel blacksys from blackboxmycar a few years ago. Excellent video quality and the app is very simple to use. The parking mode feature is awesome

Thanks Lego Maniac, Much appreciated..

Great information Rick. Much appreciated. Capacitor a smart idea. We're going to Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Vegas-Salt Lake city in t middle of summer so the battery tip is a very good one. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoli21 View Post
    I purchased a dual channel blacksys from blackboxmycar a few years ago. Excellent video quality and the app is very simple to use. The parking mode feature is awesome
    Thanks Zoll21. Much appreciated.