Thread: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

1. BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

HI. It's Zoltan. I drove the 2013 blue focus st for the past 4 seasons. I recently purchased a 2017 focus rs. I know that the car is classes in BS. I know I am allowed to run a size smaller diameter rim, however my new car came with 2 sets of wheels from the manufacturer. 19s with summer tires and 18s with winter tires. All RS's sold in Canada come with 2 sets shipped from the factory. Now my question is can I run my 17s that I used on my St last year or do i need to buy a set of 18s?

Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

Congrats on the purchase, Zoltan! It's a very nice upgrade from your FoST.

Nothing I say is official, but my best guess is -- you're going to need to stay with 18", and whichever 18" wheels you end up with, they'll need to be the same width as your 19" and within +/- 7mm offset as well.

My rationale for the above interpretation is -- we follow the SCCA rulebook, but unfortunately, the SCCA rulebook is targetted for US vehicles. With the FoRS coming only on 19" wheels in the US, 19" already refers to the "standard part" portion of the Street class rules in section 13.4B:

B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part.
    A more practical question is -- I thought the FoRS comes with some much bigger brakes than the FoST did, and I'd seriously question whether your old 17's from the FoST would both fit over the rotors and clear the calipers.
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

I seem to recall reading on a Focus RS forum about this very question. Pretty sure the answer was no - the 17's aren't legal.

4. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Zoli21 View Post
    HI. It's Zoltan. I drove the 2013 blue focus st for the past 4 seasons. I recently purchased a 2017 focus rs. I know that the car is classes in BS. I know I am allowed to run a size smaller diameter rim, however my new car came with 2 sets of wheels from the manufacturer. 19s with summer tires and 18s with winter tires. All RS's sold in Canada come with 2 sets shipped from the factory. Now my question is can I run my 17s that I used on my St last year or do i need to buy a set of 18s?
    Winter rims are listed on the US website as an option too, and they are a manufacturer option that is specific to the RS model, not just steelies

"18-inch Unique-RS Sparkle Silver Alloy Wheels"

This is the how the rule is worded:

Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
    A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset
    more than 7.00 mm (0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car. The
    resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
    B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard
    part.

The unique 18" RS winter wheel is technically a fully qualifying standard manufacturer part. So I would say you should be able to run 17's (if they actually fit over the brakes), but that is just my interpretation of the rules. I would request a clarification on it for sure though, especially before investing any money into the idea.

5. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

Ya I was told by another rs owner that 17s should be allowed since the winter options are 18 on us and Canada . The rs rims are 50 offset and my 17s are 48 so it should be fine

If you have aspirations of seriously autocrossing the car then I would do some more research.....I'm still not convinced the 17's are legal.

My knowledge of the Street class rules isn't the greatest, but my thinking is the 18" winter wheels wouldn't be considered a "standard" size. Logic being that you can't order the car from the factory with only the 18's.

I do agree from a logical point of view that being able to order the car with 18's should make the downsize to 17's legal, but the interpretation of the rules isn't always that simple.........

Best thing to do is to contact the SEB and ask for clarification:

https://www.crbscca.com/
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

8. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

Ya I was told by another rs owner that 17s should be allowed since the winter options are 18 on us and Canada . The rs rims are 50 offset and my 17s are 48 so it should be fine
    It is kind of a grey area, as mentioned above, when you actually ready the fine print they always seem to say in the wording that the wheel and tires are shipped to the dealer. So technically they are not a factory installed option, which might disqualify them.

With that said this is the brochure:
    http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...stalCode=65613

If you refer to page 16, it is definitely listed as an option for the RS... and with other things (like crash bolts, or at least this is what I've heard), when they are listed as an option in manufacture documentation like this specifically for the vehicle, it is typically legal to use.

Clarify it for sure with SEB, and be sure to send them the brochure link for review

Quote Originally Posted by NickST View Post
    If you refer to page 16, it is definitely listed as an option for the RS... and with other things (like crash bolts, or at least this is what I've heard), when they are listed as an option in manufacture documentation like this specifically for the vehicle, it is typically legal to use.
    That's a little bit of a different scenario. Just because crash bolts are available from the manufacturer doesn't necessarily make them legal. They can have a manufacturer part number, but if the manufacturer doesn't specifically acknowledge them as an approved repair method then they are illegal. There's wording in the rules to the effect of "factory approved repair procedures" are allowed.

I agree with writing for clarification. It's a popular car that is already being raced at the US national level, so I'm sure the answer should be readily available.

10. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

Quote Originally Posted by 510 View Post
    That's a little bit of a different scenario. Just because crash bolts are available from the manufacturer doesn't necessarily make them legal. They can have a manufacturer part number, but if the manufacturer doesn't specifically acknowledge them as an approved repair method then they are illegal. There's wording in the rules to the effect of "factory approved repair procedures" are allowed.

I agree with writing for clarification. It's a popular car that is already being raced at the US national level, so I'm sure the answer should be readily available.
    Yeah I know it was some fuzzy wording around the bolts, I keep hoping one day they will be legal for my car, haha

11. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

Hi. Just got a reply from the scca. Since the car in the states does not come with the 18 snow pack as standard. I will have to use a minimum of an 18 inch rim to compete in B.S.

12. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

Hi. Just got a reply from the scca. Since the car in the states does not come with the 18 snow pack as standard. I will have to use a minimum of an 18 inch rim to compete in B.S.
    That sucks, sorry to hear

Yeah that sucks. That aside....what's your impression of the car so far?

14. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

I haven't really had a chance to drive it as it's meant to be driven yet. Only put on about 300kms on it just going back and forth to work in rush hour traffic. So far the only impression is that it's horrible on gas. Hopefully it improves over time

15. Re: BOUGHT A NEW TOY NEED SOME CLASSING INFO

i think this is wrong. FACTORY options are a "Standard" part. and that is an US brochure. those winter wheels aren't a dealer installed option which would not be legal as all dealer accesories would not be allowed.

edit: later on in the brochure it lists the winter wheels as an accessory. what is it? option or accessory?
    double edit: when you build your own RS, and select the winter wheels it says "Shipped separately to the dealer for installation."
    boom, dealer installed, not legal.

however you would be limited to a 7.5" wide wheel. so i doubt your old wheels would comply anyways. better to stick with 8" wide.