Thread: Classing Help

Classing Help

Afternoon,

I am looking to get help classing my vehicle as I hope to start running next year, (its late August and I need to do some minor repairs). I am driving an 2004 Mazda 3s HB 2.3, completely stock, which class would I be registering into?

As a side note, my car runs 245/50/17's and am wondering what tire would be a good "starter" tire to purchase? I am a bit confused with the 200 utqg rating of 200. Do the tires need to be greater than or less than that magic number?

Cheers from the Valley.

Re: Classing Help

Quote Originally Posted by project2501 View Post
    Afternoon,

I am looking to get help classing my vehicle as I hope to start running next year, (its late August and I need to do some minor repairs). I am driving an 2004 Mazda 3s HB 2.3, completely stock, which class would I be registering into?

As a side note, my car runs 245/50/17's and am wondering what tire would be a good "starter" tire to purchase? I am a bit confused with the 200 utqg rating of 200. Do the tires need to be greater than or less than that magic number?

Cheers from the Valley.
    You would be in " H Street" or HS. has to be 200tw rated or higher.

As for tires, depends.

Summer only

bridgestone re71r, available at costco if not sold out
    nexen sur4G
    bf goodrich rival s 1.5

Rain and cold weather, not ice/snow

continental extreme contact sport (ECS)

i would not purchase any of the summer tires and let them sit over winter, i'd purchase them closer to your start date.

As for fixing things, as long as its not leaking, no cracked windshield, and suspension components are tight and dont need replacing like wheel bearings, ball joints, you should be good to go.

There are still plenty of events left this year with vcmc and ubcscc which runs through the winter and spring

Quote Originally Posted by gtirnick View Post
    You would be in " H Street" or HS. has to be 200tw rated or higher.

As for tires, depends.

Summer only

bridgestone re71r, available at costco if not sold out
    nexen sur4G
    bf goodrich rival s 1.5

Rain and cold weather, not ice/snow

continental extreme contact sport (ECS)

i would not purchase any of the summer tires and let them sit over winter, i'd purchase them closer to your start date.

As for fixing things, as long as its not leaking, no cracked windshield, and suspension components are tight and dont need replacing like wheel bearings, ball joints, you should be good to go.

There are still plenty of events left this year with vcmc and ubcscc which runs through the winter and spring
    Thanks gtirnick,

Unfortunately, windshield is severely cracked due to our winter last year (chipped, then ran with the temp differential), also a few road trips to the north, so that is a must and thanks for the reminder.

But I am curious what to run for tires, as all the ones you listed do not fit my vehicle. Stock tires are 205/50/17's and none come in that size. Could I theortically drop to a 205/45/17 and still stay within regulation? The only ones I see that I could run "stock" are,
    BFGOODRICH
    G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 Ultra High Performance Summer
    Size: 205/50ZR17 89W
    UTQG: 340 AA A

BRIDGESTONE
    POTENZA RE760 SPORT Ultra High Performance Summer
    Size: 205/50R17 93W XL
    UTQG: 340 A A

BRIDGESTONE
    POTENZA S-04 POLE POSITION Max Performance Summer
    Size: 205/50R17 93Y XL
    UTQG: 280 AA A

That being said, what would you suggest. As again I would be a novice driver doing my first runs, Just wanting to get comfortable with my car and how it handles other than driving the kids to school.

Cheers again mate.

Hello Project2051,

If you want to keep to the stock size, the Continental ExtremeContact Sport is available in 205/50/17. Locally, KalTire is supposed to carry them (and in that size). Depending on the USD exchange rate, it might also be worth your while to order the tires from TireRack.com in the US, have them shipped to some mail depot in Sumas or somewhere that is easily accessible to you.

For Street class, the wheels & tire rules can get a bit overwhelming to a new driver in the sport, but let's dissect it one item at a time:

1) If you plan on keeping your stock wheels, you can mount a tire of any size as long as the treadwear rating is 200 UTQG or higher. IMO, going with the Conti ECS in stock size is the best option for now if you plan on using your stock wheels.

2) Alternatively, if you are willing to go with the 225/45/17 tire size, there is literally a ton of fantastic options available, including the Bridgestone RE-71R and BFG Rival S 1.5. The 225/45/17 is shorter by 4mm (or 0.7%), so in the grand scheme or things, the difference is inconsequential. The only downside to it is, your wheel will not be able to offer as strong a support to the tire sidewall, and that expresses itself as a more vague and rubbery steering feel. With only a 20mm increase in width, the chances of the tire rubbing is very small. You'd want to make sure your wheel is at least 7" wide though. Otherwise, it would not be a good idea to go with the 225/45/17 tire size.

3) A lot of our veteran competitors in Street class prefer to keep 2 separate sets of wheels & tires -- one for normal daily use, and the other set for racing. This is a good option because any 200TW tire is really being wasted if you drive it on the street regularly. If you are going this route, it opens up quite a bit of freedom in terms of what you can do with your wheels and tire combo. You are allowed to use 16", 17", and 18" wheels as long as they are the same width as your stock wheel, and has a wheel offset that is within +/-7mm of the stock offset, and any tire size that fits on those wheels. Still, I don't recommend this option because it can get confusing very fast, and the initial costs outlay is much higher. Ideally, you'd want to hold off spending a lot of $$$ until you get a better idea of what the sport is like, and how passionate you feel towards it.

I also echo Nick's recommendation on starting sooner rather than later. There are still a number of events on the VCMC calendar, and our sister club -- UBC Sports Car Club -- runs autox events year-round, including throughout the winter. Why wait when you can have the fun now?

Hope to see you at an event soon.
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!