Thread: First time at an event

First time at an event

Afternoon all,

On Sunday my oldest daughter and myself came out to spectate the event (Cup 6 I think it was). Seeing as I plan on driving next year (with the wife's permission that is) I wanted to see what it was about. I just wanted to say thank you to the few people I talked to and how helpful they were with my questions.

On a side note, my daughter asked, If I drive next year can she. My answer was if its allowed then hell yes she can.

We had a great time there and will hopefully get out to the next one on September 16th.

Cheers!

Re: First time at an event

If your daughter is old enough to drive, she is definitely allowed to participate as a driver. IIRC, we even allow drivers with "L" licences to participate at the events (don't quote me on it though). Still, it would be more beneficial to her if she at least has a bit of street driving experience (say, almost comfortable for the class 7 exam?) before participating at our autox events.

If both of you were to participate, you can also share the same car as co-drivers. Now, as new drivers to the sport, both of you are only allowed to take senior drivers as passengers, so you won't be able to ride alongside your daughter (and vice versa). But it would still be a lot of fun to do the event together.

But I must warn you though -- if past history is any indication -- sons and daughters are almost always faster than their parents after a short training stint!
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

She has her "L" now and should be getting her "N" in November. But I am thinking as well for both of us to do the Velocity 1 course when it is offered next depending on my work load (where I am in the province) and her school load. But either way it will be good for both of us. Get me out of some bad habits too.

Velocity is an awesome program, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone to take it at least once, even if they don't plan on autox-ing at all. Unfortunately, it is only run twice a year, and you'd have to wait until April-ish next year to benefit from it.

Instead of waiting, UBCSCC typically hosts an AutoX 101 event in (mid? late?) September. It doesn't offer the classroom session that Velocity has, and but the practical on-site driving sessions offer enough similarities to Velocity that it would be a good alternative for you and your daughter at this time of the year.

Again, I'm going to recommend that if your schedule can accommodate it, it would definitely be worth your while to start sooner rather than later.
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!