Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Raceway track changes for 2008

1. Mission Raceway track changes for 2008

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - 2.0L Supercharged LSJ

Re: Mission Raceway track changes for 2008

Besides revamping T1 to eliminate the kink in the main straight, T7/8/9 will be changed into a higher speed, double apex sweeper: the new T7.....

.....but.....

the old T7/8/9 will be retained so a club renting the track can run either configuration.

The work is trying to be complete by mid-March. I'm hoping to be out there in April or May to try out the changes.

Cheers,
    Allan
    2004 Porsche 911 GT3

while I didnt realize from the map the new t7 is a double apex.. I would have gone a different route. My thought were; a decreasing radius double apex into a slight s before the straight. The reason is mainly safety in my mind. Having another corner exit near a wall like T2 doesnt yank my chain. A corner with a more gradual exit and no need to use every inch of the road to achieve the greatest line would be optimal.

My idea illustrated (sorry for the poor PS job):

rich...

"If you walk up behind a vicious dog, if you talk to the dog on the way up, it won't be caught by surprise and it wont do something unpredictable." Jackie Stewart to James May regarding car control.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rpFXdWtK4

I dunno Rich....your idea doesn't seem that safe to me compared to their plan under racing conditions. The wall at T9 never bugged me before and even with the new layout, I believe they will be positioning the turn so that wall isn't much of a problem.

I know what you mean about T2 though and especially T6.

They have another issue to deal with and that's to make sure their changes work with the drag strip. I don't know the details but the drag strip and of course the budget is a big factor. There was early talk of playing with T5/6 but they just don't have the cash.

Cheers,
    Allan
    2004 Porsche 911 GT3

Looks interesting. Sure will be a shorter track now.

T6 =

Still not fan of concrete wall right beside me on corner exit.……………..
    V67-GSR
    Retired from AutoX. Track is my new playground.

Quote Originally Posted by v67gsr View Post
    Still not fan of concrete wall right beside me on corner exit.……………..
    not as bad as T2 with an off camber exit,a concrete wall on your right,especially in the wet

I might need to get those shims for the wing on my car to help with more downforce in the wet. I've spun at Mission before. Not a lot of fun.

I've just confirmed my attendance at a track day in late April so I'll let you guys know what the changes are like then.

Cheers,
    Allan
    2004 Porsche 911 GT3

For those of us that run Mission often, I think we've all spun to a certain degree before. I went off pretty big in turn 7 last year, at least it's a good one to go off on (i.e. no walls).

It'll be interesting to see what the new changes are like.

Quote Originally Posted by solorex View Post
    For those of us that run Mission often, I think we've all spun to a certain degree before. I went off pretty big in turn 7 last year, at least it's a good one to go off on (i.e. no walls).

The paving is complete! There is still work to do but the new asphalt is down. Yay!!! I'll be at Mission on Mar 23rd with a new set of wheels/tires in case it's raining. If I spin again I only have myself to blame.

Cheers,
    Allan
    2004 Porsche 911 GT3

Some Pics from Henry 007:

2001 Toyota Sienna (don't ask...)

I get to test out the track this week

I have inside connections with members of SCCBC who just happen to by my sponsor teacher, I'll let you guys know how it is

Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay240sx View Post
    I get to test out the track this week

I have inside connections with members of SCCBC who just happen to by my sponsor teacher, I'll let you guys know how it is
    Cool!

Take videos.
    Allan
    2004 Porsche 911 GT3

Howdy Y'all,

Back to report about the track

Got to go out in a miata, and then take Pinky out for a few laps of the track....and let me tell you that the new additions are AWESOME.

Turn 7 is going be a FAST sweeper, if we use that configuration, not pushing it to the limit, and on street tires, the exit was around 100 km/h

Turn 1, still finding the perfect line, but getting close, but it is much nicer having the extra space and no wall to avoid coming into it.

Looking forward to the Track Day

Howdy Y'all,

Got to go out in a miata, and then take Pinky out for a few laps of the track....and let me tell you that the new additions are AWESOME.

Turn 7 is going be a FAST sweeper, if we use that configuration, not pushing it to the limit, and on street tires, the exit was around 100 km/h

Turn 1, still finding the perfect line, but getting close, but it is much nicer having the extra space and no wall to avoid coming into it.

Thanks for the info, Courtenay! Next week I'm taking my car in to get fresh Motul RBF600 and to swap out my front ceramic rotors for iron that I can abuse going into T1.

16 more sleeps....

Cheers,
    Allan
    2004 Porsche 911 GT3

Howdy Y'all,

100 km corner exit on turn 7 with street tires? Thats a very good addition. Looks like it become another turn 2 of PR with a little less speed, just a little.
    V67-GSR
    Retired from AutoX. Track is my new playground.

Quote Originally Posted by solorex View Post
    Tyson, you're going to love the new T1. I spent a couple hours driving Mission today (in the lovely rain) and T1 is excellent! The line feels great and I got my trailbraking nailed on that turn by the end of the day. We had to use the old T7/8/9 because the final safety stuff for the new sweeper isn't done yet and it needs FIA approval before we can use it.

I'll be at Mission two more times in the 3rd & 4th weeks of April so I'm hoping the new sweeper is approved by that point.

Sorry, no videos because my camera's battery is having issues. Time for a new one.

Cheers,
    Allan
    2004 Porsche 911 GT3

Went to Mission on Saturday as part of the Inside Line Program. Thank God it was a sunny day but very cold (3 Celsius) in the morning when we walk the track. As Allan has mentioned, the new T1 is much better but you are also carrying more speed, which also means you need better brakes. I started the day with a 07 GTI, after few laps in heavy traffic in the 1st session there was noticeable brake fade as the pedal was getting soft and the rotors started to shake. Even thought the organizer suggested min. 50% brake, I do believe better pads & high temp brake fluid is a must.

I talked to few people including the track manager the told me that the new T7 is not in use because FIA didn’t approve it. They are concern about the safety of this house in the picture below

So they will be modifying the new T7, making it into a chicane and hopefully it will be in use for middle of May.

We only had 2 passing zone during the day, the front straight and T2/3, no passing on T6/7. Cars were passing on the right hand on the front straight area instead of the left.

Pay attention around 56sec mark,

Video
    Last edited by Carson; March 24, 2008 at 15:57.