Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • What understeer?
    • Apr 2006

2008 Motul VCMC Track Day Question and discussion thread

Please discuss the 2008 Motul VCMC Track day in this thread.

Questions, answers, general, non-official discussion... right here please.

Many answer can be found here:
    Last edited by Carson; May 28, 2008, 22:58.
    08 SuperBreadvan (tm)
  • daryll
    • Apr 2004

Re: 2008 Motul VCMC Track Day Question and discussion thread

just to post in reply to sead's post.

Originally posted by Sead
    I agree, there were a few people at the last event that were not even borderline advanced, and it disrupted the flow of the group significantly.
    But in the end, I suppose the organizers have to look and make sure the numbers in each run group are fairly even.
    It would be wise to think about how we line up in grid. I'd suggest we start off by placing cars with higher potential at the front of the line, and then adjusting from there based on driver's skill on the track.
    just so i can single myself out... must be talking about my white miata

after the first session i started gridding last in the pregrid cause i realized my miata.. isnt what my old 310rwhp rx7 was ya i did hold ppl inadvertently up in the first session i admit.. but i felt after the subsequent sessions by gridding near last and just pointing everyone by it was okay. and i'm pretty sure i did not endanger anyone with my slower car...

Comment

• Sead
      (former) Top Gun
      • Jun 2001

You handled things pretty well, immediately pointing people to pass on the straights.
      With a risk of not remebering the correct info, I believe there was a Datsun that went relatively slow in corners and fast on straights with no point bys.

Anyways, not a huge deal!

Comment

• SumAznGuy
        Novice
        • Mar 2003

Just a friendly reminder, point-by's are useles when you stay on the gas. A 240 hp car is not going to be able to over take a 190 hp car when the slower car is on the gas. No names mentioned here.

Usually when I let someone by, I either let off the gas, or even give a little brake. Makes passing on the back straight betweens turn 6 and 7 a lot safer and easier.
        08 Nike Shox H/S???

Comment

• v67gsr
          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by SumAznGuy
          Just a friendly reminder, point-by's are useles when you stay on the gas. A 240 hp car is not going to be able to over take a 190 hp car when the slower car is on the gas. No names mentioned here.

Usually when I let someone by, I either let off the gas, or even give a little brake. Makes passing on the back straight betweens turn 6 and 7 a lot safer and easier.

Thats exactly what happened to me, cary, and alvin In Seattle. Alvin point us to pass but full throttle pulling away with his S2000. None of us able to catch up.
          V67-GSR
          Retired from AutoX. Track is my new playground.

Comment

• Carson
            VCMC Lifeblood
            • Dec 2005

we will bring this up at the drivers meeting, perhaps after each group run the drivers should get together to decide if any cars are too fast or too slow for the group and report to the organizers, the organizers can then decide if they can move those cars to a slower or faster group.
            2001 Toyota Sienna (don't ask...)

Comment

• AllanJ

Originally posted by Carson
              we will bring this up at the drivers meeting, perhaps after each group run the drivers should get together to decide if any cars are too fast or too slow for the group and report to the organizers, the organizers can then decide if they can move those cars to a slower or faster group.
              Also, be sure to talk about driving too close to each other. Keep your distance as you approach the corners. I know about the rush of trying to catch up to and pass a person, but you folks really need to watch that.

This is not a race, this is a club lapping day.

Cheers,

Comment

• Carson
                VCMC Lifeblood
                • Dec 2005

yes we should talk about it, but that's easier to control as the corner workers will be instructed to throw black flags for any unsafe behaviors.

Comment

• dutch
                  • Aug 2005

Last year most of the cars in advanced weren't overly fast with the exception of bob in his gt3 and maybe hedwig in his rx7 a little(he was taking it easy). Those guys weren't doing that much passing because they always went out first. The issue was more driver skill and brake fade. The guy in the cayman would push it a little too much when he had someone tailing him and would get a little out of shape. I understand the z4 coupe was having brake problems thus holding a lot of people up.

The rest of the cars were similar speeds, myself, the s2000s and sead in his sirocco.

If we see a ton more high powered cars showing up this time around I'll gladly drop down a group. Its not fun waving people by, and its no fun waiting to get waved by.

Allan: its too bad you weren't at last years trackday. It was very well executed and there were no incidents. I believe the sccbc group praised us saying we were one of the best groups to come through in a long time.
                  Eric
                  2001 mr2

Comment

• lowside67
                    • Mar 2007

I think a lot of it comes down to ego. I know that if I see a GT3 in my rearview mirror, I have no problem putting my hand out the window and giving a point-by - there's no shame in letting somebody with a faster car by. Having driven with some of you in Portland and Seattle, I'm looking forward to another track day with everybody. The advanced group is shaping up to be an awesome bunch with not too many cars that are at either extreme end of the spectrum.
                    Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
                    BM #51: 2004 Stohr WF1
                    STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i (sold 2019)
                    DSP #67: 1997 BMW 328is (sold 2012)

Comment

• AllanJ

Originally posted by dutch
                      Allan: its too bad you weren't at last years trackday. It was very well executed and there were no incidents. I believe the sccbc group praised us saying we were one of the best groups to come through in a long time.
                      I think I was driving the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton when you guys were at the track last year. Sorry I missed it. It's good to hear about the success of your day though. Very good.

For the first timers, here's a thread Joe started last year about Mission. Somewhere in these posts there is a description or two about the track, but now it has changed. The main straight doesn't have a kink in it anymore, T1 is wider and faster and the new T7 (higher speed) has replaced T7/8/9.

Cheers,

Comment

• v67gsr
                        • Mar 2002

Passenger allowed?
                        V67-GSR
                        Retired from AutoX. Track is my new playground.

Comment

• AllanJ

Speaking of passengers....if I'm in the area may I drop by for a visit and go for a ride? Or are ride-alongs (if allowed) limited to paying participants? I'm fine either way....I'm just asking.

Cheers,

Comment

• AllanJ

Worth repeating from Henry's post in a different thread. All you folks going to the VCMC track day might want to make sure your brakes are in excellent shape....and I'm not just talking about bringing them up to factory specs.

Henry wrote:
                            Went to Mission on Saturday as part of the Inside Line Program. Thank God it was a sunny day but very cold (3 Celsius) in the morning when we walk the track. As Allan has mentioned, the new T1 is much better but you are also carrying more speed, which also means you need better brakes. I started the day with a 07 GTI, after few laps in heavy traffic in the 1st session there was noticeable brake fade as the pedal was getting soft and the rotors started to shake. Even thought the organizer suggested min. 50% brake, I do believe better pads & high temp brake fluid is a must.
                            Cheers,

Comment

• Carson
                              VCMC Lifeblood
                              • Dec 2005

Motul RBF 600 or go home. Don't ask what happened to my 240 brakes last yr.

Comment

Working...