Thread: How to TBC: A User Guide

How to TBC: A User Guide

A big thanks to Art and Rich for contributing their experience in driving the TBC Karts and Course.

Without further ado, thoughts and observations from Art:

General Technique
    Karts are rear brake only, so all braking must be done in a straight line - trail braking will result in the tail coming out. Question - is it possible to understeer a kart under braking since the front tires are only steering? Try thinking about weight transfer and using weight transfer to turn in the kart. Consider lifting or light braking to assist in turn in.

Karts
    In the new cars, the driver's seat is offset to the left by a lot. You can go much closer to the walls on your left than the right.

#9 (old car) - Lots of visible toe-out. Car didn't like to turn right, required full lock at turn 5. Power was good and handling fairly balanced. Best time 31.6.
    #3 - First time out on new cars! Car had good grip, was able to take turn 2 without braking. 31.723 best lap.
    #11 - Lots of power, but very loose back end. Could not take turn 2 without slowing first. 30.826 best lap, 31.4 typical lap.
    #9 - 30.6 best lap

Driver Changes
    Drive quickly but conservatively in pits
    Outbound-driver: Indicate to drive which at which position to stop
    Inbound-driver: Come to a stop
    Outbound-driver: Stand behind and to the left, put hand on belt spool on the right to prevent it from retracting
    Inbound-driver: Release belt, exit car to the right
    Outbound-driver: Enter car from the rear left, buckle belt
    Inbound-driver: Push-start car out of pits

Track

General

Never, never go onto the black surface. The grip is at most, 50% of the unpainted concrete.
    Some barriers have more give than others, depending on how far away the tires are. For example, in turn 4 you can cut it much closer than other corners and smear the barrier without losing speed.

Turn 1 (front straight kink)

If you can't take it flat without having the car skip to driver's right, try positioning to the left before the kink. This will straighten the kink.

Turn 2 (left large sweeper)

Enter as far to the right as possible without tapping the barrier.

Turn in and lift with no braking. This should cause the kart to go into a controlled 4-wheel drift. NOTE: may not be possible, depending on the car

Steering wheel should be pretty well straight through the drift. If you are going wide of the apex, you can steer into it to reposition.

You should be able to be on the throttle very early and carry a lot of speed through the sweeper.

If you overshoot the apex, try beginning the turn in earlier or brake a bit to reduce speed prior to turn in.

Turn 3 (right medium sweeper)

Stay on concrete.
    Make sure you are using all grip available - turn in more until the car starts to understeer.

Turn 4 (left medium sweeper)

Due to the gap between the barrier and the tires, you can really squeeze in tight on this one and stay on full throttle. Experiment with pushing into the barrier without losing any speed.

Use all grip available without sliding.

Turn 5 (right tight hairpin)

Enter far left, possibly on black. This is also an excellent passing/blocking opportunity - nearly everyone goes wide left to set up for the turn. Just straight-shoot to the inside and block the hairpin entry.

Possibly lift and turn in order to gain enough rotation. Some quick drivers briefly lock the wheels to help with turn-in.

Optimize for exit speed, and no sliding. This is second most important corner exit of the course.

Turn 6 (left large corner)

There is enough grip to drive the shortest distance line instead of the largest arc.

Turn 7 (left tight hairpin)

Position far right on entry. Choose a braking marker and work with it.
    This is the most important braking point of the course. Focus on squeezing the brakes progressively and hard instead of stabbing and locking the wheels.
    If possible, lock wheels briefly at turn in for more rotation. This might be difficult because you are already hard on the brakes.
    Go for tight line rather than open arc. You need to exit on track left to prepare for next hairpin. However, don't sacrifice too much momentum.

If you are sliding to a stop or overshooting the apex and going wide, you're carrying too much speed into the hairpin. Slow down more the next lap.

Turn 8 (right medium sweeper)

This is the most important corner of the course as it leads into the longest straight by far.

Position car on far left, into the black and turn in.
    When car returns to concrete, turn in more. You have more grip here, so use it.
    Exit far left, into the black. It's okay to drive parallel to the left barrier.
    Ideally, the arc will be constant radius and allow for full throttle all the way through. This will optimize the exit speed.

Turn 9 (left large corner)

Simply turn around the corner without understeering. Keep moving to track left to prepare for turn 1.

Passing

Turn 5

The best place to pass, as many drivers will enter wide left to prepare for the hairpin. Just straight-shoot from turn 4 to turn 5 and block. You'll need to go really slow to get around the hairpin, so expect a bump from the passed driver. This is okay though, since it will just give you a boost onto the long straight!

Turn 2

An okay place to pass but can be difficult if driver is defending the line by driving in the middle of the track. If you are faster on the straight, fall back and/or carry momentum to the inside. Brake later and harder. Squeeze and don't stab

Turn 7

Difficult as the turn is not very wide.
    Often, pressured drivers will slide wide of the apex. However, it can still be difficult as they have the inside line for turn 8. Try to be patient and position for a higher top speed and pass at turn 2.

And from Rich:

t1,2 are flat out.. this is an area concentration on conservation of hand movement is rewarded

t3 (1st hairpin) LATE LATE LATE apex.. this means going deep into the braking zone.. braking in a straight line, easing the turn in, guage the slide and power on early... the late apex allows you to have better track position for t4..

t4 (simple 90 degree right) depending on your t3 exit it is taken full out or with some modulation.. as with most corners apexing at close to the wall (close enough to touch) helps massively..

t5 (slippery left hander) the entrance to the corner is done mid track and due to the surface usually induces understear.. the most grip is on the very inside of the corner.. if you get it right, it feels like the kart sticks on the inside tires then understeers on exit

t6 (shart right) pretty simple, but a late apex is optimal here again because it gives a better line onto the straight(imho).. a simple lift and turn in so you can get the weight transfer forward... if you feel hopping or bad understeer.. u messed up

t7 (exiting left onto straight) fairly straight forward, look far ahead and let the kart run out as far as you can to the outside (remember, the worse thing to do to a kart when trying to go fast is turn it due to the geometry of the chassis during turning)

t8 (sharp left hand hairpin) i try not to push the really REALLY late brake too often if I am by myself.. I like to squeeze down till I find the threshold (yes you can feel it).. turn in with a simple mid corner apex. on tuesday there was a little piece of curved mettal on the ground at the apex, I tried to hit it every lap

t9 (long tight right hander) a quick scramble to gain track position to the left after t8 I quickly transition aiming a little wide of the corner... i let off and get back on the gas really quickly.. this usally brings the noze in then forces power understeer that brings me to the outer wall...

and start/finish... remember; the worse thing you can do to a gokart when trying to go fast is turn. I like driving on TBC because it teaches you the basics really well especially when it comes to momentum and conservation of hand movement.

Thank you to the original posters for taking the time to document their experience for the benefit of others!
    Darrin Linders
    1985 EP Honda Civic

Re: How to TBC: A User Guide

I am not sure if this will be much help, the video quality is really bad but here is a youtube video from a tuesday sprint night I did ages ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6WDZm0CIA

rich

"If you walk up behind a vicious dog, if you talk to the dog on the way up, it won't be caught by surprise and it wont do something unpredictable." Jackie Stewart to James May regarding car control.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rpFXdWtK4

Re: How to TBC: A User Guide

WOW ! seen some nice guides ~ thanks ~ especially for turn 2 and turn 7