Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorsports Documentaries

Motorsports Documentaries

I have been looking for some recent documentaries on Motorsports and came up with this list.
    Senna and Truth in 24 are must see. Racing Dreams is also pretty good.

If you know of more good documentaries please share.

Senna (2010)
    A documentary on Brazilian Formula One racing driver Ayrton Senna, who won the F1 world championship three times before his death at age 34.
    IMDB rating: 8.6/10

Racing Dreams (2009)
    A feature documentary following three young racers as they compete in the World Karting Association's National Pavement Series...
    IMDB rating: 8.9/10

Love the beast (2009)
    The film documents the 25-year history of Eric Bana's first car, a 1974 Ford XB Falcon Hardtop. Bana purchased the car at the age of fifteen for AU $1100. Bana is a motor racing enthusiast, and participates in various motor racing competitions in Australia
    IMDB rating: 7.8/10

Truth in 24 (2008)
    Truth in 24 is a documentary film detailing Audi's preparation for the 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans. The team is followed through several races prior to Le Mans, including the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 1000km of Monza. Neither race results in victory for Audi (although they did win class at Sebring) heading into Le Mans. The focus shifts to Le Mans itself, documenting the buildup to the race and the ultimate result of the race.
    IMDB rating: 8.8/10

Truth in 24 II - Every Second Counts (2012)
    The follow-up film to the original Truth in 24, where the Audi Sport Racing team again attempts to cross the finish line first at the historic 24 Hours of Le Mans. (You can watch it here)
    IMDB rating: 7.4/10

Nascar: The ride of their lives (2008)
    The history and heroes of NASCAR are brought to life through the men and women who lived the dream. The Ride of Their Lives, narrated by Kevin Costner, is a story of family bonds and personal struggle, rebellion and teamwork. These are the threads that weave through the sport's first 60 years and a half century of Daytona 500 races. From the moonshine runners of the postwar years to the superstars of the 21st century, The Ride of Their Lives celebrates a sport that grew from humble Southern roots to become a national spectacle.
    IMDB rating: 6.4/10

Dust to glory (2005)
    A documentary on the Baja 1000, an annual off-road race held in Baja, Mexico that attracts hundreds of racers, their souped-up machines, and thousands of fans.
    IMDB rating: 7.3/10

Faster (2003)
    The film spotlights the MotoGP world championship, the premiere level of motorcycle road racing, which is a series of sixteen races on five continents contested by twenty-four riders. The film includes appearances by Valentino Rossi, Max Biaggi, Australian veteran Garry McCoy, and young American John Hopkins. Several former world champions are interviewed, including Mick Doohan, Kevin Schwantz, paralyzed former racer Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts, and Barry Sheene.
    IMDB rating: 7.4/10

TT3D : Closer To The Edge (2011)
    By vividly recounting the TT's legendary rivalries and the Isle of Man's unique road racing history, this 3D feature documentary will discover why modern TT riders still risk their lives to win the world's most dangerous race. The Isle of Man Tourist Trophy is the greatest motorcycle road race in the world, the ultimate challenge for rider and machine. It has always called for a commitment far beyond any other racing event, and many have made the ultimate sacrifice in their quest for victory. A story about freedom of choice, the strength of human spirit and the will to win. It's also an examination of what motivates those rare few, this elite band of brothers who risk everything to win.
    IMDB rating: 8.1/10

>> Scroll down for more recommendations. <<
    Last edited by Fab; February 24, 2015 at 14:40.

Re: Motorsports Documentaries

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    If you know of more good documentaries please share.
    And by good I mean that doesn't put you to sleep, I don't think I ever been able to watch one of those 80s or 90s documentaries on F1 without falling asleep.

TRAILERS

Last edited by Fab; July 7, 2017 at 12:21. Reason: fixed broken links

Watched Truth in 24, good stuff. Not your usual boring documentary. Makes you realize the importance of the support team and especially of the chief engineer.

Apparently it's available for free on itunes.

Added Senna to the list

I dunno, but I think "Goodbye Race City" kicks ass:

I heard rumours that there's a longer version being planned. It will be historical more than anything, and focus on the roadcourse... maybe. Who knows. Just rumours
    I am Randy's desire to go Faster!

TT3D (or is it 3DTT, I can never remember) is epic! It's a docudrama about the 2010 Isle of Man TT motorcycle race. Definitely not boring!
    Richard Arienzale

2004 Honda S2000 - #156 BS
    1995 Dodge Neon ChumpCar #28
    2004 Mazda 3 DD

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
    Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Truth in 24 II - Every Second Counts (Available in it's integrality on the Audi of America youtube channel)

The follow-up film to the original Truth in 24, where the Audi Sport Racing team again attempts to cross the finish line first at the historic 24 Hours of Le Mans.

A couple of shorter web documentaries

Urban Outlaw

A portrait of Magnus Walker, the rebel Porsche customizer who turned a hobby into an obsession, and an obsession into a successful business. From a workshop in downtown Los Angeles, Magnus obsessively harvests fragments from donor 911s, grafting them onto vintage frames to create one-off automobiles with the spirit of Ferdinand Porsche but an ethos entirely his own.

The Red Bull Racing Story

Last edited by Fab; July 7, 2017 at 12:18. Reason: fixed broken link

Haven't watched this one yet

Easier Said Than Done

Easier Said Than Done is a full length documentary about rallying. It features drivers and stories from around the world, with a North American outlook. Filmed in 8 countries across 18 months to capture the best stories from the most intense motorsport in the world.

You can buy it from their website http://easiersaidthandonefilm.com/

Great thread, thanks Fab.

Just found out about this one, will watch it later this week.

Adrenalin: The BMW Touring Car Story (2014)

ADRENALIN brings the exciting and successful BMW touring car story to the big screen. 50 years of a spectacular sport played out at race circuits around the world. Charismatic drivers and evocative racing cars from five decades plot the growth of the sport and the technology. From the drifting touring cars of the 60's to the first victory of the BMW M4 in the highly sophisticated new DTM. The legends behind the wheel tell their exciting stories and bring the golden era of touring car racing alive again.
    IMDB rating: 9.3/10

http://www.adrenalin-film.de/

Racing The Rock: 6 Days at Targa Newfoundland (2013)

Racing the Rock is a documentary about two teams taking on Targa Newfoundland. Follow along with the experienced husband and wife team of Keith and Janel Tanner as they go for the overall win in their highly modified V8 Miata. Meanwhile, the newly formed rookie crew of Brandon Fitch and Zach Bowman have to gel as a team as they also struggle with the technical challenges of the Grand Touring class. And the difficulties begin before they even get to the start line!

Release date May 22 2015

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
    Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

After Paul Newman, Steve McQueen

Haven't seen it yet but seems to be good.

The 24 Hour War (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    Haven't watched this one yet

Easier Said Than Done

Easier Said Than Done is a full length documentary about rallying. It features drivers and stories from around the world, with a North American outlook. Filmed in 8 countries across 18 months to capture the best stories from the most intense motorsport in the world.

You can buy it from their website http://easiersaidthandonefilm.com/
    Love this documentary

I actually backed this video on Kickstarter, they even stuck my name in the credits

Le Mans: Racing is Everything (2017)

The 24 Hours of Le Mans is a motor race like no other. Taking place in France each year, it is an endurance test for drivers and cars that literally takes 24 hours to complete. Traveling from Kuala Lumpur to the Côte D’Azur, shot in breathtaking 4K and with unprecedented access to six of the teams competing for glory, Le Mans: Racing is Everything is motorsport as you’ve never seen it before.

20. Re: Motorsports Documentaries

Cool trailer! Like the background music.